Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hello Panda

It's been quite a while and I have something to say now. I found a wedding band!! Here's the story. A little while ago I started hunting around the city to see if I could find a little jewelry shop with some antique bands within our budget. I went to three different shops. Two of them pretty- womaned me. One had the nerve to say, "Well when you're ready to replace that ring with a diamond (speaking of my engagement ring)...you can go for something like this" Whatever. As Kate pointed out: If I wanted a diamond in the first place I would have a charming little diamond on my finger. People don't get it (especially jewelers).

I was pretty bummed because I thought there had to be someone out there who understood the character and the preciousness in an old, sweet, dainty ring that isn't all gobbed up with diamonds. I think there are so many wonderfully different kinds of rings with and without diamonds, but the wedding and diamond industries don't encourage that kind of creative thought. It's all about the 4 C's and the size. I can't believe how many people get hung up on the size. It grosses me out. What other naturally produced material creates such status? I can't imagine how guys feel. Commercials suggest how easy it is to acquire the ring of her dreams...only 2 months salary. TWO MONTH'S SALARY? Seriously, when is the last time you had 2 months salary rolling around. I can't imagine worrying if the ring is big enough...if it is expensive enough...it's insane. Furthermore, what kind of set-up is that for the gals? Is this now a competition? Who has the biggest ring? Mine was only $1200 while hers was $3200. What am I worth in jewelry? Are we supposed to feel better about ourselves if we have a giant piece of crystallized carbon on our finger? It makes me sick. When you meet someone and get the feeling you could spend a whole happy life with that person do you think, hmmm I wonder what kind of ring he would cough up? No, hopefully not.

I've felt passionate about this for a long time, so I apologize for the out-of-nowhere wedding jewelry talk. I think it's fair to say that most of the wedding industry supports this way of thinking as well. We all know that the pricier weddings in the U.S. costs as much as an entire college education. An education's worth of money gone within 4 hours.

Anyyywaaay I really do like diamonds. I think they are very pretty and sparkle wildly. I also think many other stones are pretty and there is something to be said for the purity of precious metals all on their lonesome.

Back to the hunt. Whew. I went home and went to yelp.com for some help and direction. I found the San Francisco Provident Loan Co and read many good reviews about a person there that took the time to find a unique ring. Long story short, this place was exactly what I needed to find. A nice gentleman by the name of Ben helped me and asked if I really wanted an antique ring or just one that looked antique because he had a stash of old rings that were truly very old and weren't exactly what you would find today. Yes, exactly. He brought out a case of old rings and said that they would normally melt these down, but he loved them too much to melt them. He asked me my price range, and though I winced when I said it (see previous experiences above) he had no problem with it. He said we could definitely find a ring in our price range. I looked at the rings and loved them (one ring was engraved with a 1907 wedding date), but didn't see the one. He told me to keep checking back because he gets them in all the time. I went down there yesterday and I saw the sweetest, most perfect ring. I felt like that was it, but I didn't want to jump the gun. I'm trying to be more patient and get what I really want. I selected four rings to try on. Each of them had little diamonds on the top that were just fine with me. They sparkled and were still pretty easy to wear, in our price range, etc. This one though...I couldn't believe how much it felt like me. First it's yellow gold, which I have a secret crush on. Secondly it's the most dainty ring I've ever seen. Thirdly, it's from the 30's and has already been attached to a lifetime. Fourthly, it has 5 tiny mine-cut diamonds on the top. Lastly, it is engraved with, "Ring of Romance"! Beyond all of that and the beautifully sweet detail, it fit me perfectly.

I asked him to hold the ring with the others overnight so I could make a decision. We went in today and I still felt very strongly about the ring. Morgan also thought it was me. So we went for it! There was a really pretty sparkly one that was a bit flashier, but it felt like it'd be nice on someone else. This one felt like it was mine. (By the way, this one was half of our budget)

Here she is: (click for larger versions and detail)

A few showing the detail


You can see the Ring of Romance stamp

Here I am wearing it all over the place:



I can't wait to wear it for realz.

Love to everyone,
Megan

7 comments:

  1. Yeah that's pretty much you if you were a ring you know what i mean? I'm so excited for you to wear it 4 realz 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww so that yellow gold is the morgan of jewelry for you...
    xo sarah beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. that ring is the definition of lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan! I was just googling "Ring of Romance" and came across your blog. I just inherited my Great-Grandmother's wedding ring from my Grandmother - and it is also engraved with "Ring of Romance"! My ring is from 1914 (that's when they got married - so I just assume)...it was most likely purchased in Owen Sound, Ontario. Other than that I do not know much else about it.

    Have you found anything out about yours? Where it came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HMROBERTS!

      That's so cool! I didn't even think to search it; I figured it was a stamp that the jeweler offered or something like that. I can't find much else on my ring or that stamp. If you find anymore info, will you let me know? I'll do the same. The only info I have on this one is that the jeweler thought it was from the 30s but the diamonds are older and were added to the band. I'd love to know more about the stamp. Thanks for getting in touch and congratulations on inheriting that ring! It sounds really special.

      Best,
      Megan

      Delete
  5. Hi again, Megan - I was just doing a bit more research, but I haven't found anything. Have you?

    I think "Ring of Romance" must have been a certain brand, kind of like all the designers seem to have today - like Vera Wang, etc.

    Anyway - please keep in touch.
    My email is haleyroberts@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete